Thursday, March 18, 2010

Back to work

Last Sunday some past students of Jerome's came up and we planted the last three greenhouse beds. We also transplanted three young Kiwis. Since the planting was finished I was given a few days off, which came right a long with some great weather. I started working again today and spent the majority of the day transplanting and watering. I first thinned out 5 trays of sorrel and marigold starts. This was the first time I used any kind of store bought soil here at CRMPI. Jerome had me plant the thinned out plants into a extra fine peat starting mix. I almost killed all of the transplants by leaving them in the greenhouse with me where they were getting fried! Luckily I got them in some shade in time. It was a very hot and sunny day, my first of the kind up here, and it taught me the importance of regulating and ventilating the greenhouses. Jerome showed me the multiple openings in all the greenhouses that need to be open and shut as the day goes on. It is important to have everything shut, doors included, before the sun starts dropping so we can charge them for the night.
My other transplanting was just transplanting broccoli and cauliflower starts into 4 inch containers. I foolishly didn't put enough soil in these and am going to have to go back and fix them tomorrow. As you can tell I made multiple mistakes today. My head seemed to be drifting away with the good weather, but I will have to pull it together because tomorrow will be a lot more transplanting and some planting from seed. Oh, and a quick fix on my earlier post about worm bins: The best method is to have three of those 15 gallon containers and to stack them after filling them. After a month or two you can separate them and then make more buckets by taking worms out of them and starting new batches under them same procedure. 
Thanks for reading and I promise pictures will be up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment